If you have been involved in a serious accident, whether it is a motor vehicle accident, a slip and fall accident, or any other kind, you should seek medical attention right away. Even if you do not feel significant pain or have any apparent injuries, a prompt medical examination can make a significant difference. Here are just a few reasons why that is:
- You may be injured and not know it
- It may seem ridiculous that you might have a significant injury after an accident and not know it. However, people can walk away from an accident with strained muscles, dislocated or broken bones, or even traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) without realizing it. A medical examination can detect these injuries and allow you to get treated for them, even if you think you are otherwise fine.
- Some injuries may only appear after a significant amount of time
- Another issue is that some injuries only make themselves known after days, weeks, or sometimes even months. This is partly because some more serious injuries, like muscle strain or bone fractures, can easily be mistaken for less severe bruises or scrapes if they are not given a thorough examination. Traumatic brain injuries, in particular, are often mistaken for more conventional maladies without a neurological evaluation.
- Early detection and treatment minimizes the risk of complications
- As a general rule, the more quickly you get an injury treated by a doctor, the better your prognosis is for a successful recovery. This will not only help you heal faster, it can also minimize the risk of complications due to failing to treat the injury, such as secondary infections or compound bone fractures. This will minimize your pain and suffering, as well as minimize the medical costs you incur as a result of your injuries.
- Medical evidence is crucial for proving damages
- From a legal perspective, a thorough medical examination is also essential for recovering compensation for the injuries you sustain as a result of an accident. Medical records can prove when and where you were injured, and tie your injuries to whatever accident caused them. This can give a solid foundation for either negotiating a settlement from an insurer, or fighting for a successful verdict in court.
- The longer you wait, the harder it is to prove your case
- The more time that lapses between when you are injured and when you get an examination, the harder it is to show that your injuries are the result of your accident. This can potentially give the defense in your personal injury case an opportunity to claim that your injuries were not the result of their negligence, impacting how much you can recover in damages. Thus, seeing a doctor as soon after an accident as possible is essential to winning your case.
The personal injury attorneys at Georgaklis & Mallas, PLLC are experienced in representing clients who have been seriously injured, and the surviving family members of those who have been fatally injured, as the result of serious accidents. The firm’s accomplished personal injury lawyers strive to secure full and fair compensation for their injured clients. With law offices conveniently located in Brooklyn and Manhattan, their personal injury lawyers can vigorously represent clients throughout the metropolitan area, including in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, the Bronx, Queens, and New Jersey. For more information or to schedule a free consultation, please call (718) 238-2400 or fill out our contact form.